Presidential Physician: William Augustus Newell
- Medical school: University of Pensylvania, 1839
- Physician, Congressman, Governor (NJ), Territorial Governor (WA), and founder of the U.S. Coast Guard.
- "When John Quincy Adams fainted in the House of Representatives he fell into the arms of Dr. Newell, by whom he was attended till his death thirty-Six hours later" [Obituary].
- Is said to have been Abraham Lincoln's family physician for a time [Meany, p54]. This may have been circa 1848, when both served in Congress.
- [Obituary]. British Medical Journal. Sept. 21, 1901; 845.
- Meany, Edmond S. Governors of Washington, territorial and state. Seattle: Department of Printing, University of Washington, 1915.