Presidential Physician: J. Willis Hurst
- During Johnson's heart attack in 1955, Hurst was his cardiologist (along with James Cain and Howard Burchell). Hurst was then 34, and on staff at Bethesda Naval Hospital.
- Hurst continued as Johnson's cardiologist for the rest of his (Johnson's) life -- 18 years. The two became personal friends.
- Hurst has been on the faculty at Emory University since 1955, and was chief of cardiology until 1986.
- Anonymous. "Past & President: J. Willis Hurst and LBJ." Emory Medicine Magazine. pp 28-33, Autumn 1996. On-line at emory.edu.
- Hurst, J. Willis; Cain, James C. LBJ: To Know Him Better. (?)Austin, TX: LBJ Foundation, 1995. 78 pages.