Presidential Physician: Charles Augustus Leale
- Medical school: Bellevue Hospital Medical College, 1865
- Leale was the first physician to get to Lincoln after the shooting. Leale's eyewitness account is reproduced on one of the Abraham Lincoln pages on this web site.
- He was 23 years old, and had graduated from Bellevue only two months earlier. He was then chief surgeon in the officer's ward in the United States General Army Hospital on Armory Square in Washington.
- Photograph appears on page 42 of Twenty Days
- Roos CA. Physicians to the Presidents, and their patients: a bibliography. Bull Med Library Assoc. 1961; 49(3): 291-360.
- Kunhardt DM, Kunhardt PB Jr. Twenty Days: A Narrative in Text and Pictures of the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln and the Twenty Days and Nights That Followed. New York: Castle Books, 1965.